This ad is expired.
R-9748 Outreach Provider for Blind/Visually Impaired Special Education/Outreach
Alabama Institute for Deaf & Blind
Click Below to Apply:
Posting Date: November 21, 2023
Candidates who are blind or visually impaired and/or deaf or hard of hearing are encouraged to apply for this position and may be given preference in hiring as permitted by federal laws. Information related to disability is not required, and if disclosed voluntarily, will be used only in AIDB's efforts to create opportunities for individuals with disabilities. Non-disclosure will not subject any applicant to adverse treatment.
POSITION: Outreach Provider for Blind/Visually Impaired Special Education/Outreach
ABOUT ALABAMA INSTITUTE FOR DEAF AND BLIND
The Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind (AIDB) is the world's most comprehensive education, rehabilitation and service program serving individuals of all ages who are deaf, blind, deafblind and multi-disabled and their families. Founded in 1858, AIDB serves more than 36.000 infants, toddlers, children, adults and seniors with hearing and vision loss throughout Alabama each year.
Our services literally span a lifetime including five campuses in Talladega, ten regional centers located in Birmingham, Dothan, Huntsville, Mobile, Montgomery, Talladega, Tuscaloosa, Shoals, Opelika and Decatur with programs that range from early and senior intervention, traditional and nontraditional education services in residential and outreach settings and a manufacturing facility that is the state's largest employer of adults who are blind and deaf
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our employees are among the organization's most valuable assets and resources. We share compassion for leveling the playing field for all. Our Mission makes AIDB a unique place to work and we invite you to be a part of the miracles that happen every day.
As an Outreach Provider, you will serve as an integral part of a multi-disciplinary team tasked with providing instructional support and resources to professionals serving students who are blind or visually impaired across Alabama. The right candidate for this job will have a passion for supporting and coaching others to ensure that a free appropriate education is accessible to children with sensory impairments.
If the individual hired has or is willing to obtain School Psychometry Certification, a stipend in the amount of $3,000 annually will be awarded.
You will play a vital role in the success of students and be a part of the miracles that happen every day at AIDB. This will be accomplished by demonstrating flexibility, positive attitude, and professional maturity.
- Must hold an Alabama Teaching Certificate with certification in Visual Impairment.
- Must have knowledge of or willingness to learn Braille, including obtaining certification from the National Library of Congress within the first thirty-six (36) months of employment.
- Must have at least 3 years in a teaching or related services position working with children with visual impairments.
- Must be familiar with the laws governing special education.
- Must be able to develop and maintain rapport with constituencies within AIDB as well as with Local Education Agencies, the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE), the Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services (ADRS), and other organizations relevant to the provision of services.
- Must be able to travel to locations across the state of Alabama to provide services, attend training sessions, provide professional development, etc.
- Must be mature, self-motivated and possess the ability to exercise sound judgment, anticipate problems and take initiative with minimal supervision.
- Upon offer of employment, the applicant must submit to a fingerprint background check at an agency designated and paid by AIDB.
- Master's level certification in Special Education, Visual Impairment, School Psychometry, or Early Childhood Development.
- Certification in Orientation and Mobility.
- Experience administering Functional Vision and Learning Media Assessments.
- Experience administering educational and/or psychoeducational evaluations.
- Work a flexible schedule, traveling across the state to identified and requested locations.
- Maintain records using the project management system in place to document services provided and to keep track of professionals, parents, and students served.
- Conduct record reviews and observations of students to prepare for consultations, evaluations, and support services.
- Serve as an instructional coach and support for professionals working with children who are blind or visually impaired.
- Maintain a professional image at all times.
- Perform Functional Vision Assessments, Learning Media Assessments, and educational evaluations.
- Collaborate with Individualized Education Program Teams, upon request, to assist in program planning and implementation.
- Coordinate the preparation and distribution of information for various annual events.
- Actively participate in student staffings and departmental meetings.
- Keep abreast of current research and trends related to education of children with visual impairments, the Expanded Core Curriculum, teaching strategies, etc.
- Maintain staff files including documentation of personnel actions, CEUs, PLUs, evaluations, teaching certificates, and other information as needed.
- Connect parents and professionals with resources provided by other AIDB units, ADRS, and other community resources.
- Collaborate with AIDB's network of Regional Centers across the state.
- Attend pertinent professional development sessions and maintain membership in organizations related to visual impairment, special education, etc.
- Keep abreast of the latest assistive technologies for the blind and visually impaired. Be prepared to consult with teachers regarding recommendations in this area.
- Observe the Alabama Educator Code of Ethics.
- Serve as an active and collaborative member of the multidisciplinary team that makes up the Special Education/Outreach unit.
BENEFITS: Health, Dental and Vision Insurance Available
Alabama State TRS Retirement
Deferred Compensation Options Available
Paid Time Off
SALARY: $45,894 - $61,124 Scale l1 Rank 2T (B Certification)
$53,794 - $70,204 Scale l1 Rank 1T (A Certification)
$57,268 - $74,189 Scale l1 Rank AA (AA Certification)
Direct deposit is required.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: December 5, 2023
Click Below to Apply:
To apply, please visit: https://www.aidb.org/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&ModuleInstanceID=3073&ViewID=7b97f7ed-8e5e-4120-848f-a8b4987d588f&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=16033&PageID=1469
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency